1. Apply for unemployment insurance. (More details below)
2. Contact the Maryland State Bar Association AND Client Protection Fund change your name and address. YOU MUST CONTACT BOTH.
To change information for MSBA:
By phone to membership: 800-492-1964
By fax to Membership 410-685-1016
By Mail: Membership, MSBA, 520 West Fayette Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
3. Contact Creditors if necessary. (More details below)
4. Update your resume. Practice your elevator speech.
5. If necessary, delete as much as possible any "inappropriate" Myspace, Facebook, or other social networking posts.
6. Become more active with the MSBA and local and specialty bars to expand your network. Join MSBA sections and Email Lists. Join the MSBA Young Lawyer Section Facebook Group.
7. Sign up for local bar referral services A list of all bar associations with Lawyer Referral Services is available at http://www.msba.org/public/referral.htm.
8. Consider Solo Practice.
Contact Pat Yevics at MSBA at 800-492-1964, ext 3039 if you have any questions.
For a copy of our binder on How to Start a Solo Practice, please send an email to Patricia Yevics
Attend Hanging Out A Shingle seminar, held in January, July and November each year.
Attend Solo Day at the Annual Meeting, held Friday at each MSBA Annual Meeting in June. (See a sample of the 2011 Solo Day topics.)